Hello Friends, Today, we are going to discuss the characteristics and Importance of Strategic Management. We already write some articles about Strategic Management: Meaning, Features, Importance, and Levels. It is a series of comprehensive guides for the establishment of entrepreneurship ventures. If You don’t know about the business Environment Please read once. Let’s start with some basics of the Characteristics of strategic Management.
The characteristics of strategic management decisions vary with the level of strategic activity considered. Corporate level decisions are often characterized by greater risk, cost, and profit potential, greater need for flexibility and longer time horizons. Such decisions include the choice of the business, dividend policies, sources of long-term financing and priorities for growth.
Whereas, Functional level decisions implement the overall strategy formulated at the corporate and business levels. They involve action-oriented operational issues and are relatively short-range and low risk.
Functional level decisions incur only modest costs because they depend on available resources. They usually are adaptable to ongoing activities and therefore can be implemented with minimal cooperation.
And, Business-level decisions help bridge decisions at the corporate and functional levels. Such decisions are less costly, risky and potentially profitable than corporate-level decisions, but they are more costly, risky and potentially profitable than functional level decisions.
Common business-level decisions include decisions on plant location, marketing segmentation, and geographic coverage, and distribution channels.
Important characteristics of Strategic decision are
- Non- programmed: – strategic decisions are unique and rare. They deal with uncertain and non- routine problem situations as they are complex in nature.
- Future-oriented: – Strategic decisions are future-oriented. They are made on the basis of predictions and projections. They are concerned with long term direction and scope of the organization.
- Dynamic: – They are dynamic in nature. They take place within a changing environment. Changing political, economic, socio-cultural, legal and technological forces increase complexity in strategic decisions.
- Top management-oriented: – Strategic management decisions are made by the top management of the firm. The values, philosophy, and expectations of top management greatly affect strategic decisions. So, the strategic decisions are top management-oriented.
- Competitive Advantage: – Strategic decisions help in gaining competitive advantages in the market by searching for unique resources and core competencies.
- Strategic fit: – Strategic decision match activities and resources of the organization with the opportunities in the environment.
- Commitment: – strategic decisions are long term objectives of the firm and involve long term commitment of large amounts of resources.
- Choice: – Strategic decision is about making choice from among the strategic alternatives. It is a choice among the course of action for the long term future.
Importance of Strategic Management
- Enhance organizational performance.
- Effective and Optimum Utilisation of Resources
- Reduce uncertainty.
- Change management.
- Participative management.
- Meet competition.
- Promotes Motivation and Innovation.
- Guide to Organisational Activities