Benefits Of Being a HGV Driver

It is fair to claim that the UK’s relations with European nations have altered significantly in recent years. Following the Brexit referendum in the year 2016 and after years of negotiations, the United Kingdom officially left the EU on January 31, 2020. Numerous rules and regulations have changed since then, particularly for firms with operations on the continent based in the United Kingdom.

Some of these legislative changes may affect HGV truck drivers who go to Europe for business. If you drive an HGV training Birmingham, UK, into Europe regularly or wish to start, you need to be aware of a few driving requirements. Here are the most important things you should know before taking a commercial HGV training course.

Driving Histories

To operate a car on European roads, you must have a few driving documents on hand. This, together with your UK driver’s license, must be carried on person at all times. A driving license with a picture is usually adequate for admission into EU countries.

If your license was issued in Guernsey, Jersey, or the Isle of Man, you would need an international driving permit (IDP). All British automobile owners over 18 years may now acquire an IDP for £5.50.

The Right Takes Priority.

In several parts of Europe, all traffic on the right has precedence. On traffic circles in the UK, you’re probably used to giving way to cars approaching from the right. This is especially true in Italy and France. If you’re in an area where this is required, you’ll see yellow diamond street signs on the side of the road. These will act as the beginning and finish locations of these zones, and you must yield to any incoming cars on your right when driving through them.

Updated Passport Requirements

Passport restrictions have changed somewhat since the UK left the EU, which has harmed many tourists and visitors. Previously, you could travel as long as your passport had six months validity remaining on it, but things have lately changed.

Before You Begin Your Journey To Europe, You Should Ensure The Following:

You have a passport from less than ten years ago.

Your passport will be valid for at least three months after you depart.


If you often drive an HGV in Europe, you should be aware of the current visa requirements. Prior to the Brexit decision, the UK was a member of the free movement pact, which allowed British residents to stay in any EU country for as long as they pleased.

Short trips (defined as a 90-day stay within 180 days) do not require visas; nevertheless, people wishing to study or work in the EU outside of these constraints will almost certainly require a visa. You must confirm your requirements ahead of time because each EU member state has somewhat different standards and processes surrounding these visas.

Roadways With Restricted Access

There are occasionally strict rules concerning where you may and cannot drive in Europe. Driving is, for example, illegal in various sections of several Italian cities, including Rome, Florence, and Milan. This is mostly due to their desire to reduce pollution and deterioration in beautiful areas and historic monuments, as well as traffic in tourist areas.

These no-drive zones are commonly missed by GPS units, but they are always monitored by CCTV, and violating them will result in a large punishment. It’s always a good idea to double-check your route before departing.

New UK Stickers

Previously, all British vehicles driving across Europe had to have a GB sticker on the back of their lorries or trailers. This was changed in September 2021, and drivers must now get a UK sticker in order to navigate on European roads. These stickers cost around £1.50 and may be purchased online or at post offices.

Keep An Eye Out For Changing Speed Limits.

The vast majority of experienced European drivers are probably aware that, unlike in the United Kingdom, some sections of the continent have changeable speed limitations dependent on weather.

In France, for example, when it begins to rain, the 80 mph maximum speed limit on motorways is automatically reduced to 68 mph. Before you go, check the speed limit laws because drivers are expected to be aware of this.

Truck And Trailer Insurance

To operate an HGV in Europe, you must have truck and trailer insurance. You should apply for what is commonly called a “green card” at least one month before you want to drive in Europe.

In some cases, you may need more than one green card. This might include:

You manage a fleet.

You’re towing a trailer or caravan.

If your insurance coverage renews in the middle of a highway trip, you will need one green card per policy.

A professional course for HGV driving training is usually a smart idea. Some of these legislative changes may affect HGV truck drivers who go to Europe for business. Passport regulations have altered slightly after the United Kingdom exited the European Union, which has impacted numerous tourists and visitors.

Leave a Comment