Write for BusinessMan Talk
Do you want to write for BusinessMan Talk? You’ve come to the right place. Please fully read these guidelines before submitting a piece to our team.
Important note: Our publication queue for contributed articles can be up to 1/2 months long. To ensure our article backlog doesn’t grow, we publish only the most useful articles for our audience; accordingly, we tend to be highly selective.
If you can’t wait that long, ” BusinessMan Talk ” offers a Sponsored Article option: The how-to article or opinion/thought-leadership piece you sponsor gets bumped to the front of the line and published within a few weeks. BUT (and this is key): it still must be accepted for publication by our editors. Find out more about sponsored articles on BusinessMan Talk.
Topics We Cover
Important: These are the topics ” BusinessMan Talk ” now covers. If the subject of your contributed “how to” article (see next section on content types) does not relate to one of the following, we’re unlikely to consider it for publication; but do think of them as broad categories rather than narrow topics:
- Business Environment
- Business Strategy
- Business Research
- Organizational Behavior
- Human Resource Management
Your article will receive special consideration if it focuses on any of the various components or phases of marketing campaigns:
- Defining the strategic objectives of campaigns
- Planning campaigns
- Creating campaigns
- Launching and communicating/disseminating campaigns
- Analyzing campaigns
Types of Content We Publish
Here’s a list of what we publish from guest contributors:
- Bylined “how-to” articles for our website and twice-weekly newsletter, BusinessMan Talk
- Summaries of research findings based on polls, surveys, and research studies conducted by marketers, academia, PR firms, and other researchers
- Bylined thought-leadership articles (op/ed-type pieces), but we accept only those that offer particularly valuable insights and views that can’t easily be found elsewhere
How to Get Your Byline Published on BusinessMan Talk
We get a lot of submissions. Following these guidelines will increase your chances of getting your how-to article published in MarketingProfs:
- Write from an objective viewpoint and convey valuable how-to information to the reader. Focus on practical advice, actionable tips, and useful know-how about a specific marketing topic or approach to marketing (see the topic list, above). Bullet points are good. Meandering text is not.
- Use a fresh, approachable voice. You are a person writing for other people. Sound like one.
- Offer clear takeaways for our (and your) audience—mostly B2B marketers, by the way. And remember that little voice Ann Handley talks about in Everybody Writes: “Nobody has to read this.” So, make us want to read it.
- Articles should be at least 800-1,000 words, but no more than 1,200 or so. Feel free to include images, charts, graphs, and the like—but only if they help convey a point.
- Articles should be original to the author and unpublished elsewhere. (Infographics can have appeared elsewhere.)
- Include a brief bio of 25 words, including LinkedIn and Twitter contact info, if available, and a recent headshot (make sure the upper half of your torso is also in the picture).
- Include relevant links immediately preceding the words to be linked (the anchor text); do not embed the links in the anchor text (but feel free to underline that anchor text).
- Submit articles in Microsoft Word format (no PDF or other file types, please), as email attachments.
- If you submit an article that mentions businesses or companies in which you have a vested interest, disclose as much to us and the audience.
Send byline submissions to us. Include “BusinessMan Talk byline contribution” in your email subject line.
If your article is accepted for publication, we will inform you; expect to hear from us within a week or two of our having received your email. If we don’t accept your article, you may or may not hear from us, depending on how crowded our inbox is. If you haven’t followed the above guidelines, you likely won’t hear back.
What we don’t publish: case studies and press releases (but do look at the “How to Get Your Research Covered on MarketingProfs,” below).
My Article Was Selected for Publication. Now What?
- Your article will be edited for clarity and brevity, and to conform to the BusinessMan Talk home style.
- We will probably change your headline, too, so you might want to suggest alternatives.
- The author retains copyright and may republish the article on his/her personal or company blog or site after the article has been published on BusinessMan Talk. In such cases, we ask that you cite BusinessMan Talk and link to the original article on our site.
- BusinessMan Talk may also reprint your piece, with full attribution, in BusinessMan Talk products, including marketing materials.
- We do not pay guest contributors for their articles.
- Our article queue is long, and publication will likely take 1/2 months or so.
How to Get Your Research Covered on BusinessMan Talk
If you have findings from marketing-related research to share, send an email to Research Writer firstname.lastname@example.org with a link to or PDF of the research. Include “Research Findings” in the subject line.
If Ayaz chooses to cover your research, he will likely reach out directly for more information.
How to Get Your Infographic on BusinessMan Talk
Infographics submissions should include introductory text—about 100–125 words—to help set up the graphic. You won’t get a byline for that text; think of it more as a press release.
Forward your infographic to email@example.com, and include “BusinessMan Talk infographic contribution” in your email subject line.
What Didn’t We Answer?
Still have a question? Reach out to our director of publication.